HomeFootball NewsPage confident he can take Wales forward

Page confident he can take Wales forward

-

Rob Page insists he is the right man to lead Wales forward despite their agonising Euro 2024 play-off defeat to Poland last night.

Dan James’ miss in the shoot-out saw Poland advance 5-4 after a goalless 120 minutes in Cardiff.

Read our other football news stories here:
England 2-2 Belgium: Bellingham rescues Three Lions
Former Liverpool star urges Reds to sell Alexander-Arnold
Williamson recalled to England squad

Inevitably it has led to questions about Page’s future but asked if he feels he can take Wales to major tournaments in the future, he replied: “Absolutely.

“We’re a team in transition and, while we’re in transition, we’re one penalty kick away from qualifying.

“We’ve got games in June, Nations League in the autumn and then the start of a World Cup qualifying campaign.

“So that’s my full focus now, building on what we’ve already started and the transition we’re in at this moment in time.”

Wales edged a cagey encounter, Ben Davies seeing a goal chalked off by VAR for offside while Poland goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny made an impressive save to deny Kieffer Moore.

But following nine successful penalties in the shoot-out, Leeds United winger James was the unfortunate man to see his shot saved by Szczesny.

“I’m absolutely gutted for them,” Page said.

“It’s a horrible way to go out. It’s a cruel game. I’m really disappointed right now but I’m really proud of them.

“That was the message in the changing room. For the campaign overall and the journey we’re on, I couldn’t be more proud.

“It’s a horrible way to go out but hopefully we’ll learn and become stronger for having gone through the horrible experiences of tonight.”

Poland joined Ukraine and Georgia in advancing to Euro 2024.

They will take their place in Group D alongside the Netherlands, Austria and France.

Jon Fisher
Jon Fisher
Jon has over 20 years' experience in sports journalism having worked at the Press Association, Goal and Stats Perform, covering three World Cups, an Olympics and numerous other major sporting events.

LATEST POSTS

Tottenham: Richarlison opens up on mental health battle

Tottenham and Brazil striker Richarlison has opened up on his battle against depression following the 2022 World Cup, and admitted he wanted to “give up”. The...

England 2-2 Belgium: Bellingham rescues Three Lions after Tielemans double

Jude Bellingham grabbed a last-gasp equaliser to prevent England from suffering back-to-back home defeats after Youri Tielemans' brilliant brace looked set to hand Belgium an...

England v Belgium: Mainoo leads trio of first-time starters for Three Lions

Kobbie Mainoo, Ivan Toney and Ezri Konsa will make their first England starts against Belgium tonight. Manchester United teenager Mainoo comes in for Conor Gallagher and...

Former Liverpool defender calls on Reds to sell Alexander-Arnold this summer

Former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol believes the club sell Trent Alexander-Arnold this summer as they already have the perfect replacement in Conor Bradley. England international Alexander-Arnold...

Most Popular