HomeFootball NewsBarnes Out For The Rest of The Year

Barnes Out For The Rest of The Year

-

Newcastle United have confirmed that their forward, Harvey Barnes, will be missing for the rest of this calendar year after the injury he sustained against Sheffield United last weekend.

Barnes went off at Bramall Lane after around just ten minutes of The Magpies’ eventual 8-0 victory over the newly-promoted strugglers with Anthony Gordon taking his place and going on to win Sky Sports’ Player of the Match award.

The type of and extent of the injury was not yet known until Eddie Howe’s pre-match press conference on Friday morning, ahead of Newcastle United’s home match against Burnley in the Premier League this weekend.

Howe said: “He’s going to be out for around three months. No surgery required which is good news but his foot is now in a boot. It’s an injury underneath his toe.”

Barnes has yet to start firing for last season’s fourth-placed side, following his move from Leicester City over the summer for a fee of around £38 million.

Despite being relegated with The Foxes last season, Barnes performed impressively with 13 goals in 34 games from out-wide in a struggling Leicester side.

The now 25-year-old Burnley-born winger began his career with Leicester in 2016. He enjoyed loan spells with Milton Keynes Dons, Barnsley and West Bromwich Albion in his development. He was a part of the Leicester side that won both the FA Cup and the Community Shield.

Newcastle’s options for the wing include the aforementioned Anthony Gordon as well as the likes of Miguel Almiron, Jacob Murphy and Matt Ritchie. Joelinton and Alexander Isak have both played there in the past, as well as Tino Livramento at Southampton, whilst fellow new signing Lewis Hall made his first start for the club playing high on the left against Manchester City in the EFL Cup third round in midweek.

Newcastle began the season with a 5-1 defeat of Aston Villa before a run of three successive defeats before the international break. They have now kept four successive clean sheets, though, as they seek to emulate the impressive campaign of last year.

Jon Fisher
Jon Fisher
Jon has over 20 years' experience in sports journalism having worked at the Press Association, Goal and Stats Perform, covering three World Cups, an Olympics and numerous other major sporting events.

LATEST POSTS

Ancelotti hungry for UCL success with Real Madrid to go with LaLiga triumph

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti is eyeing the Champions League trophy to go alongside the club's LaLiga success. Los Blancos confirmed their record-breaking 36th title at...

De Zerbi hails Aston Villa as ‘one of the best teams in the Premier League’

Roberto De Zerbi says his Brighton side beat "one of the best teams in the Premier League" on Sunday. The Seagulls took all three points thanks...

Madueke backing Chelsea for Europe after West Ham thumping

Noni Madueke is backing Chelsea to finish as high as possible after the Blues thrashed West Ham 5-0 in the Premier League. First-half goals from Cole...

Sean Dyche slams VAR for missed penalty in Luton-Everton draw

Everton boss Sean Dyche believes VAR missed a second penalty for his side during the 1-1 draw with Luton Town on Friday night. The Toffees denied...

Most Popular