HomeFurther blow for Brentford as Ben Mee to miss rest of season

Further blow for Brentford as Ben Mee to miss rest of season

-

Brentford have suffered yet another injury blow with the news that Ben Mee will miss the rest of the season with an ankle fracture, leaving Thomas Frank without his entire regular back four.

Mee was substituted just after the hour mark of Brentford’s 4-2 defeat to West Ham on Monday, the Bees’ 10th loss in their last 12 Premier League games.

He will join fellow defenders Ethan Pinnock, Rico Henry and Aaron Hickey in missing the remainder of the campaign, adding to Frank’s woes as the Bees face up to the prospect of a relegation battle.

Read our other football news stories here:
O’Neil taking inspiration from Howe ahead of Newcastle trip
Neville’s bottlejob remark has not helped Chelsea – Pochettino
Postecoglou rues ‘disruptive’ season as Richarlison injured

Speaking at a press conference to preview Saturday’s West London derby against Chelsea, Frank said: “It’s our entire back four from last season now out.

“Ben Mee got a fracture to his ankle against West Ham and is out for the rest of the season.

“Sky ran a story and we have had the second-most injuries in the league, with the way they calculated it.”

Brentford sit five points clear of the relegation zone, having played one game more than 18th-placed Luton Town, and Frank says no analysis of their season can be complete without a mention of their injury troubles.

“Last year, around this time, we were on a 12-game unbeaten run and everyone thought, ‘wow, Brentford are the best’,” Frank said.

“We still have the same staff, same owner, the same very good players, so why have we now lost 10 out of 12?

“Sometimes the performances were not as good, sometimes it was fine margins, sometimes momentum going against us, and definitely injuries.

“If you look at key players, I have potentially seven starters out: the back four, Bryan [Mbeumo], Kevin [Schade] and Josh Dasilva. We have a good squad, we have good players, but that makes it a little bit more tough.

“It’s up to me and the players to find a way out of it, and we will. We are ready to fight.”

Jon Fisher
Jon Fisher
Jon has over 20 years' experience in sports journalism having worked at the Press Association, Goal and Stats Perform, covering three World Cups, an Olympics and numerous other major sporting events.

LATEST POSTS

Ancelotti hungry for UCL success with Real Madrid to go with LaLiga triumph

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti is eyeing the Champions League trophy to go alongside the club's LaLiga success. Los Blancos confirmed their record-breaking 36th title at...

De Zerbi hails Aston Villa as ‘one of the best teams in the Premier League’

Roberto De Zerbi says his Brighton side beat "one of the best teams in the Premier League" on Sunday. The Seagulls took all three points thanks...

Madueke backing Chelsea for Europe after West Ham thumping

Noni Madueke is backing Chelsea to finish as high as possible after the Blues thrashed West Ham 5-0 in the Premier League. First-half goals from Cole...

Sean Dyche slams VAR for missed penalty in Luton-Everton draw

Everton boss Sean Dyche believes VAR missed a second penalty for his side during the 1-1 draw with Luton Town on Friday night. The Toffees denied...

Most Popular