HomeArteta keen to move on from post-Newcastle comments after avoiding ban

Arteta keen to move on from post-Newcastle comments after avoiding ban

-

Mikel Arteta is eager to draw a line under his criticism of officials which followed Arsenal’s controversial defeat to Newcastle United last month, after the Gunners boss was cleared of misconduct by an independent commission.

Arteta was charged by the Football Association (FA) in the aftermath of Arsenal’s 1-0 defeat at St James’ Park in November, having hit out at the decision to allow Anthony Gordon’s winning goal.

After Joelinton escaped punishment for an apparent push on Gabriel Magalhaes in the build-up to the goal, Arteta described the decision to allow it as “embarrassing” and “a disgrace”.

The FA alleged those comments were insulting towards the match officials, detrimental to the game or brought the game into disrepute.

Read our other football news stories here:
Clattenburg welcomes Welch appointment
Arsenal boss Arteta avoids touchline ban over VAR comments
Former Ankaragucu president banned for punching referee

However, it was announced on Thursday that Arteta had been cleared of the charge, avoiding his second touchline ban of the season after the commission said his comments did not imply incompetence on behalf of the officials or bring the game into disrepute.

With the disciplinary process concluded, Arteta wishes to move on from comments he maintains were the result of the pressure faced by Premier League bosses.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of Sunday’s meeting with Brighton and Hove Albion, Arteta said: “It was a really good process.

“It gave them the opportunity to explain how they felt, myself how I felt and the reasons behind it, and the outcome is I’m not charged.

“But we draw a line and look for how we can be much more constructive, learn from it, and how to move forward. That is it, but it was good.

“Once I explained how we feel, as managers, the pressure we are under and how important these details are for our job.

“I love what we do so much and I want to continue doing it, but the reality last year was 14 managers lost their jobs, which is incredible, and we depend on results. That is it.

“When the outcome is that important, we get really emotional about it.

“Now, when you lost another game, nobody remembers what happened three weeks ago when you lost one because of VAR, so I think it was a really good process.”

Arsenal released a statement in the aftermath of Arteta’s comments, defending the Spaniard and demanding improvements in officiating standards.

Arteta believes all Premier League stakeholders are committed to that cause, saying: “I defended my opinion, I say again that I am fully supportive of how we have to improve the game.

“We have the duty and responsibility to do that. It’s good that we can discuss things in an honest and open way.”

Jon Fisher
Jon Fisher
Jon has over 20 years' experience in sports journalism having worked at the Press Association, Goal and Stats Perform, covering three World Cups, an Olympics and numerous other major sporting events.

LATEST POSTS

Ancelotti hungry for UCL success with Real Madrid to go with LaLiga triumph

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti is eyeing the Champions League trophy to go alongside the club's LaLiga success. Los Blancos confirmed their record-breaking 36th title at...

De Zerbi hails Aston Villa as ‘one of the best teams in the Premier League’

Roberto De Zerbi says his Brighton side beat "one of the best teams in the Premier League" on Sunday. The Seagulls took all three points thanks...

Madueke backing Chelsea for Europe after West Ham thumping

Noni Madueke is backing Chelsea to finish as high as possible after the Blues thrashed West Ham 5-0 in the Premier League. First-half goals from Cole...

Sean Dyche slams VAR for missed penalty in Luton-Everton draw

Everton boss Sean Dyche believes VAR missed a second penalty for his side during the 1-1 draw with Luton Town on Friday night. The Toffees denied...

Most Popular